1. Alfonso-Parra, C., Avila, F.W., Deewatthanawong, P., Sirot, L.K., Wolfner, M.F., and Harrington, L.C. (2014). Synthesis, depletion and cell-type expression of a protein from the male accessory glands of the dengue vector mosquito Aedes aegypti. Journal of insect physiology 70, 117-124.
2. Aye, Y., Li, M., Long, M.J., and Weiss, R.S. (2014). Ribonucleotide reductase and cancer: biological mechanisms and targeted therapies. Oncogene.
3. Berookhim, B.M., Palermo, G.D., Zaninovic, N., Rosenwaks, Z., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Microdissection testicular sperm extraction in men with Sertoli cell-only testicular histology. Fertility and sterility 102, 1282-1286.
4. Berookhim, B.M., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Azoospermia due to spermatogenic failure. The Urologic clinics of North America 41, 97-113.
5. Boes, K.E., Ribeiro, J.M., Wong, A., Harrington, L.C., Wolfner, M.F., and Sirot, L.K. (2014). Identification and characterization of seminal fluid proteins in the Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 8, e2946.
6. Bolcun-Filas, E., Rinaldi, V.D., White, M.E., and Schimenti, J.C. (2014). Reversal of female infertility by Chk2 ablation reveals the oocyte DNA damage checkpoint pathway. Science 343, 533-536.
7. Bryson, C.F., Ramasamy, R., Sheehan, M., Palermo, G.D., Rosenwaks, Z., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Severe testicular atrophy does not affect the success of microdissection testicular sperm extraction. The Journal of urology 191, 175-178.
8. Cheng, C.Y., Hwang, C.I., Corney, D.C., Flesken-Nikitin, A., Jiang, L., Oner, G.M., Munroe, R.J., Schimenti, J.C., Hermeking, H., and Nikitin, A.Y. (2014). miR-34 cooperates with p53 in suppression of prostate cancer by joint regulation of stem cell compartment. Cell reports 6, 1000-1007.
9. Dabaja, A.A., Wosnitzer, M.S., Mielnik, A., Bolyakov, A., Schlegel, P.N., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Bulbocavernosus muscle area measurement: a novel method to assess androgenic activity. Asian journal of andrology 16, 618-622.
10. Davisson, R.L., Bates, J.N., Johnson, A.K., and Lewis, S.J. (2014). Effects of intracerebroventricular injections of 5-HT on systemic vascular resistances of conscious rats. Microvascular research 95, 116-123.
11. de Oliveira, F.M., and Smolka, M.B. (2014). Identification of DNA damage checkpoint-dependent protein interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using quantitative mass spectrometry. Methods in molecular biology 1156, 251-263.
12. Dustin Rubinstein, C., and Wolfner, M.F. (2014). Reproductive hacking A male seminal protein acts through intact reproductive pathways in female Drosophila. Fly 8, 80-85.
13. Findlay, G.D., Sitnik, J.L., Wang, W., Aquadro, C.F., Clark, N.L., and Wolfner, M.F. (2014). Evolutionary rate covariation identifies new members of a protein network required for Drosophila melanogaster female post-mating responses. PLoS genetics 10, e1004108.
14. Francis, J., and Davisson, R.L. (2014). Emerging concepts in hypertension. Antioxidants & redox signaling 20, 69-73.
15. Funaro, M., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Novel markers of male infertility. Methods in molecular biology 1154, 233-250.
16. Handel, M.A., Eppig, J.J., and Schimenti, J.C. (2014). Applying "gold standards" to in-vitro-derived germ cells. Cell 157, 1257-1261.
17. Harris, T.P., Schimenti, K.J., Munroe, R.J., and Schimenti, J.C. (2014). IQ motif-containing G (Iqcg) is required for mouse spermiogenesis. G3 4, 367-372.
18. Heifetz, Y., Lindner, M., Garini, Y., and Wolfner, M.F. (2014). Mating regulates neuromodulator ensembles at nerve termini innervating the Drosophila reproductive tract. Current biology : CB 24, 731-737.
19. Holloway, J.K., Sun, X., Yokoo, R., Villeneuve, A.M., and Cohen, P.E. (2014). Mammalian CNTD1 is critical for meiotic crossover maturation and deselection of excess precrossover sites. The Journal of cell biology 205, 633-641.
20. Howards, S.S., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Word of wisdom. Re: effect of rejuvenation hormones on spermatogenesis. European urology 66, 788-789.
21. Hsu, F., Luo, X., Qiu, J., Teng, Y.B., Jin, J., Smolka, M.B., Luo, Z.Q., and Mao, Y. (2014). The Legionella effector SidC defines a unique family of ubiquitin ligases important for bacterial phagosomal remodeling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 111, 10538-10543.
22. Jiang, X., Jones, S., Andrew, B.Y., Ganti, A., Malysheva, O.V., Giallourou, N., Brannon, P.M., Roberson, M.S., and Caudill, M.A. (2014). Choline inadequacy impairs trophoblast function and vascularization in cultured human placental trophoblasts. Journal of cellular physiology 229, 1016-1027.
23. Jorgez, C.J., Weedin, J.W., Sahin, A., Tannour-Louet, M., Han, S., Bournat, J.C., Mielnik, A., Cheung, S.W., Nangia, A., Schlegel, P.N., et al. (2014). Y-chromosome microdeletions are not associated with SHOX haploinsufficiency. Human reproduction 29, 1113-1114.
24. Kelly, N.H., Schimenti, J.C., Patrick Ross, F., and van der Meulen, M.C. (2014). A method for isolating high quality RNA from mouse cortical and cancellous bone. Bone 68, 1-5.
25. Lacko, L.A., Massimiani, M., Sones, J.L., Hurtado, R., Salvi, S., Ferrazzani, S., Davisson, R.L., Campagnolo, L., and Stuhlmann, H. (2014). Novel expression of EGFL7 in placental trophoblast and endothelial cells and its implication in preeclampsia. Mechanisms of development 133, 163-176.
26. Laflamme, B.A., Avila, F.W., Michalski, K., and Wolfner, M.F. (2014). A Drosophila protease cascade member, seminal metalloprotease-1, is activated stepwise by male factors and requires female factors for full activity. Genetics 196, 1117-1129.
27. Laudano, M.A., Osterberg, E.C., Sheth, S., Ramasamy, R., Sterling, J., Mukherjee, S., Robinson, B.D., Parekattil, S., Goldstein, M., Schlegel, P.N., et al. (2014). Microsurgical denervation of rat spermatic cord: safety and efficacy data. BJU international 113, 795-800.
28. Llano, E., Gomez, H.L., Garcia-Tunon, I., Sanchez-Martin, M., Caburet, S., Barbero, J.L., Schimenti, J.C., Veitia, R.A., and Pendas, A.M. (2014). STAG3 is a strong candidate gene for male infertility. Human molecular genetics 23, 3421-3431.
29. Luo, Y., Hartford, S.A., Zeng, R., Southard, T.L., Shima, N., and Schimenti, J.C. (2014). Hypersensitivity of primordial germ cells to compromised replication-associated DNA repair involves ATM-p53-p21 signaling. PLoS genetics 10, e1004471.
30. Mehta, A., Clearman, T., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Safety and efficacy of testosterone replacement therapy in adolescents with Klinefelter syndrome. The Journal of urology 191, 1527-1531.
31. Mehta, A., Mielnik, A., Schlegel, P.N., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Novel methylation specific real-time PCR test for the diagnosis of Klinefelter syndrome. Asian journal of andrology 16, 684-688.
32. Melville, K.M., Kelly, N.H., Khan, S.A., Schimenti, J.C., Ross, F.P., Main, R.P., and van der Meulen, M.C. (2014). Female mice lacking estrogen receptor-alpha in osteoblasts have compromised bone mass and strength. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research 29, 370-379.
33. Najari, B.B., Li, P.S., Ramasamy, R., Katz, M., Sheth, S., Robinson, B., Chen, H., Zirkin, B., Schlegel, P.N., and Goldstein, M. (2014). Microsurgical rat varicocele model. The Journal of urology 191, 548-553.
34. Najari, B.B., Robinson, B.D., Paget, S.A., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Clinical, radiographic, and pathologic description of IgG4-related perivasal fibrosis: a previously undescribed etiology of chronic orchialgia. Urology 84, 748-750.
35. Navratil, A.M., Dozier, M.G., Whitesell, J.D., Clay, C.M., and Roberson, M.S. (2014). Role of cortactin in dynamic actin remodeling events in gonadotrope cells. Endocrinology 155, 548-557.
36. Okayama, S., Kopelovich, L., Balmus, G., Weiss, R.S., Herbert, B.S., Dannenberg, A.J., and Subbaramaiah, K. (2014). p53 protein regulates Hsp90 ATPase activity and thereby Wnt signaling by modulating Aha1 expression. The Journal of biological chemistry 289, 6513-6525.
37. Osterberg, E.C., Laudano, M.A., Ramasamy, R., Sterling, J., Robinson, B.D., Goldstein, M., Li, P.S., Haka, A.S., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Identification of spermatogenesis in a rat sertoli-cell only model using Raman spectroscopy: a feasibility study. The Journal of urology 192, 607-612.
38. Paduch, D.A. (2014). Editorial comment. Urology 84, 1340-1341.
39. Paduch, D.A., Brannigan, R.E., Fuchs, E.F., Kim, E.D., Marmar, J.L., and Sandlow, J.I. (2014). The laboratory diagnosis of testosterone deficiency. Urology 83, 980-988.
40. Palermo, G.D., Neri, Q.V., Schlegel, P.N., and Rosenwaks, Z. (2014). Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) in Extreme Cases of Male Infertility. PloS one 9, e113671.
41. Pinggera, G.M., Frauscher, F., Paduch, D.A., Bolyakov, A., Efros, M., Kaminetsky, J., Da Pozzo, L., Esler, A., and Cox, D. (2014). Effect of tadalafil once daily on prostate blood flow and perfusion in men with lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia: a randomized, double-blind, multicenter, placebo-controlled trial. Urology 84, 412-419.
42. Qiao, H., Prasada Rao, H.B., Yang, Y., Fong, J.H., Cloutier, J.M., Deacon, D.C., Nagel, K.E., Swartz, R.K., Strong, E., Holloway, J.K., Cohen, P.E., Schimenti, J.C. et al. (2014). Antagonistic roles of ubiquitin ligase HEI10 and SUMO ligase RNF212 regulate meiotic recombination. Nature genetics 46, 194-199.
43. Ramasamy, R., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Microdissection testicular sperm extraction in older men. Fertility and sterility 101, e15.
44. Ramasamy, R., Trivedi, N.N., Reifsnyder, J.E., Palermo, G.D., Rosenwaks, Z., and Schlegel, P.N. (2014). Age does not adversely affect sperm retrieval in men undergoing microdissection testicular sperm extraction. Fertility and sterility 101, 653-655.
45. Schnabel, L.V., Abratte, C.M., Schimenti, J.C., Felippe, M.J., Cassano, J.M., Southard, T.L., Cross, J.A., and Fortier, L.A. (2014). Induced pluripotent stem cells have similar immunogenic and more potent immunomodulatory properties compared with bone marrow-derived stromal cells in vitro. Regenerative medicine 9, 621-635.
46. Sirot, L.K., Findlay, G.D., Sitnik, J.L., Frasheri, D., Avila, F.W., and Wolfner, M.F. (2014). Molecular characterization and evolution of a gene family encoding both female- and male-specific reproductive proteins in Drosophila. Molecular biology and evolution 31, 1554-1567.
47. Sirot, L.K., Wong, A., Chapman, T., and Wolfner, M.F. (2014). Sexual Conflict and Seminal Fluid Proteins: A Dynamic Landscape of Sexual Interactions. Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in biology 7.
48. Sitnik, J.L., Francis, C., Hens, K., Huybrechts, R., Wolfner, M.F., and Callaerts, P. (2014). Neprilysins: an evolutionarily conserved family of metalloproteases that play important roles in reproduction in Drosophila. Genetics 196, 781-797.
49. Smith, N.L., Wissink, E., Wang, J., Pinello, J.F., Davenport, M.P., Grimson, A., and Rudd, B.D. (2014). Rapid proliferation and differentiation impairs the development of memory CD8+ T cells in early life. Journal of immunology 193, 177-184.
50. Sones, J.L., Lob, H.E., Isroff, C.E., and Davisson, R.L. (2014). Role of decidual natural killer cells, interleukin-15, and interferon-gamma in placental development and preeclampsia. American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology 307, R490-492.
51. Stahl, P.J., Schlegel, P.N., and Goldstein, M. (2014). Sperm retrieval and quality evaluation. Methods in molecular biology 1154, 361-384.
52. Thompson, I.R., Mirczuk, S.M., Smith, L., Lessey, A.J., Simbi, B., Sunters, A., Baxter, G.F., Lipscomb, V.J., McGonnell, I.M., Wheeler-Jones, C.P., Roberson, M.S. et al. (2014). Homologous and heterologous desensitization of guanylyl cyclase-B signaling in GH3 somatolactotropes. Cell and tissue research 355, 425-436.
53. Vaucher, L., Funaro, M.G., Mehta, A., Mielnik, A., Bolyakov, A., Prossnitz, E.R., Schlegel, P.N., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Activation of GPER-1 estradiol receptor downregulates production of testosterone in isolated rat Leydig cells and adult human testis. PloS one 9, e92425.
54. Wallace, M.D., Southard, T.L., Schimenti, K.J., and Schimenti, J.C. (2014). Role of DNA damage response pathways in preventing carcinogenesis caused by intrinsic replication stress. Oncogene 33, 3688-3695.
55. Wei, X., Das, J., Fragoza, R., Liang, J., Bastos de Oliveira, F.M., Lee, H.R., Wang, X., Mort, M., Stenson, P.D., Cooper, D.N., and Smolka, M. B. (2014). A massively parallel pipeline to clone DNA variants and examine molecular phenotypes of human disease mutations. PLoS genetics 10, e1004819.
56. Wosnitzer, M.S., Mielnik, A., Dabaja, A., Robinson, B., Schlegel, P.N., and Paduch, D.A. (2014). Ubiquitin Specific Protease 26 (USP26) expression analysis in human testicular and extragonadal tissues indicates diverse action of USP26 in cell differentiation and tumorigenesis. PloS one 9, e98638.
A new study from Andrew Grimson's lab, in collaboration with Paula Cohen's lab, has identified a key pathway required for maintenance of sex chromosome telomere integrity. Using conditional knockout mice for Dicer and Dgcr8, two key enzymes required for small RNA processing, Modzelewski et al (2015) show that loss of small RNAs during prophase I leads to telomere fusion events specifically involving the X and Y chromosomes. For further information, see the May edition of Journal of Cell Science
A recent publication by Dabaja et al (2015) has identified key cell:cell interactions that are necessary to establish normal profiles of one key microRNA, miR202-5p, in Sertoli cells. This is the first example of a germ cell regulatory interaction that is necessary for miR expression in neighboring somatic cells of the testis
The lab of Center member John Schimenti recently identified the DNA damage checkpoint pathway responsible for culling oocytes that fail to repair double stranded breaks (DSBs) that occur during meiosis or which arise in a female's oocyte pool (Bolcun-Filas et al, Science 343:533-536, 2014). Using combinations of mutants involved in recombination and DNA damage responses, they found that this pathway involves signaling of checkpoint kinase 2 (CHK2) to both p53 and p63. Disruption of this checkpoint pathway restored fertility to females that normally would be deficient of all oocytes due to defects in meiotic recombination or exposure to radiation. This discovery opens the way to using available CHK2 inhibitors to protect the oocytes of women undergoing cancer therapy that would normally cause infertility.